If you’re looking to save money as a homeowner in 2020, there are a couple of ways you can do so. 

First, if you currently live in your primary residence—not an investment property—you can file for homestead exemption. The deadline to file is coming up fast, though, and keep in mind that you must have lived in your current home as of January 1 of this year. 

To file for this exemption, you can either go online or download the application and submit it via mail. In the latter case, you’ll need a copy of your driver’s license with your primary residence listed. The filing process is completely free, so don’t fall for any spam mail that offers to file for you for a nominal fee.

“You might be surprised at how much of a reduction you get, and who doesn’t want that extra cash in their pocket?”

The second way you can save money is by protesting your property taxes. Property taxes tend to increase every year, but you can protest yours by bringing a copy of your property tax disclosure to the courthouse in person. Texas is a non-disclosure state, so remember that you’re not required to reveal how much you paid for your property. As with filing for homestead exemption, this process is free. 

If you’d like help protesting your property taxes, I would be happy to do a comparative market analysis of your local area to supplement your position. In any case, don’t be afraid to give it a shot. You might be surprised at how much of a reduction you get, and who doesn’t want that extra cash in their pocket?

If you have any more questions about this topic or you have any other real estate needs I can take care of, don’t hesitate to reach out to me. I’d be happy to help you.

Homestead Exemption Website

Click on the County Link to view the Homestead Exemption Forms. This form can be filled from Jan 1st - April 30th.

HCAD Mobile App

Available for IOS/Android Users

You can now electronically file your residential homestead exemption online utilizing the HCAD Mobile App.   To submit the homestead application utilizing the mobile app, you will need 4 items: 
1 - The date of occupancy on your residence.   
2 - Your TX drivers license  
3 - An iPhone or Android phone   
4 - The HCAD Info and Exemptions app (found in the App Store or Google Play)